Page Background

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Because you screened positive...

We've heard those words A LOT during this pregnancy.  But, I will say that I am so glad to be in such good hands... of people who take my health and our baby's health very seriously. My midwife has been very conservative, taking every precaution since my positive AFP screening.

So in three weeks (around 34 weeks gestation), because I screened positive, I will begin getting ultrasounds every other week until I deliver.  It isn't technically used for an ultrasound, even though we will get to see our little girl.  It is a specific procedure called a BPP- Biophysical Profile.  A BPP is basically just a prenatal test done to check in on the baby's health/well-being. The BPP measures 5 different components as shown below, and then the baby is assigned a score.

FHR= Fetal Heart Rate
AFV= Amniotic Fluid Volume

A score of 8-10 is considered "Normal" and where you want to fall.  The baby has 30 minutes to achieve this score.  A score of 6 is considered "Equivocal" or indefinite.  Anything below a 6 is considered "Abnormal".  So, at my next appointment we will set a date for our first BPP.  My first inclination was to worry and question.  Is there something they aren't telling me?  Why would they need to do this if everything looks okay?  WHAT IF they find something or she doesn't live up to their points standard?  But now, I'm trying to see it as an opportunity to get to see our little one a few extra times before she makes her grand debut. And I see it as a reminder... that no matter what, this verse (from the Psalm that my Pappaw recommended us read frequently during this journey) will always hold true.






No comments:

Post a Comment