Page Background

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Our Nursery is FINALLY done!

Y'all....39 weeks.  Talk about the biggest slacker first time mom EVER.  Normally first time moms (or so it seems) have their nursery set up and ready to go by 30 weeks.  I mean anything could happen so you have to be prepared. Right?!  Well, not me!  But alas, our nursery is finally finished and Ella Paityn is still baking....so I call that a success.

We don't have a huge amount of flexibility because we are in a rental.  Our landlord wouldn't care if we painted and nailed, etc. but I don't want to have to undo what was done when we move.  So we went pretty simple and use lots of Command strips/hooks!  (Thank you Kim Barrett for getting me hooked on the "velcro" Command strips.)

We bought all of our nursery furniture from Buy Buy Baby and got a transitional set which we LOVE!  It was definitely an investment, but it was also something that I can see Ella Paityn using through high school and then eventually taking with her to her first home.  After all, that is what I did :-)  The crib converts to a toddler bed, then full size bed.  The changing table/hutch converts to a dresser and bookcase.

I made the crib bumpers and crib skirt and my mom made us two coordinating sheets (one in gold dot, the other in a green leafy fabric).



The tassel bunting, gold circle bunting, mobile, and pictures were all decorations from my New Bern shower. I gave Kim my "inspiration" and she took it and RAN!  I am so thankful because our walls would be completely bare otherwise. This is the view as soon as you walk into the room. Imagine there is a beautiful ruffled valance over the window because that is what's to come!  My mom is currently making it and is going to bring it to hang when EP is born :-)


The precious "bally" banner hung across the front of the crib was also made by Kim and part of my shower decorations. 


Inside the crib (for now, don't get all crazy on me!) is a crocheted afghan that was made by Ella Paityn's Grandmommy (my MIL). It is absolutely gorgeous and I LOVE the lacy border.  Sitting on top of the afghan is a bunny doll that Ella Paityn's CeCe (my mom) handmade for her. The blue pad is a sheet saver. 



If you turn around 180* and face back towards the door, this is the view.  We have the Mamaroo that we bought (a space saving swing) as well as the string art that Jacob and I made together. There are well over 500 nails in that sucker.


Behind the door we have EP's baby carrier that we can't wait to use!!  Inside is the newborn insert (that my sweet friend Shamar gave to us) so hopefully we'll be able to use it as soon as she's brought home. You can also see the door latch cover that I made to match the bedding.  More to come on the piggy bank :-)


Turn back around and face the crib, and this will be to the right: 


Ella Paityn has two piggy banks.  Would you expect any less with her Daddy raising hogs?!  The silver piggy bank was given to her by her Mom's college friend, Grace, and it has her monogram engraved on it.  The big white piggy bank was hand-painted by her Mom's best friend, Rebecca, and it is gorgeous.  Rebecca was very critical of her work, but as you can see above-- it is amazing (and matches the nursery decor).



The white lamp used to be a hideous vintage gold color with a purple "stained glass" lamp shade with 4 inch bead trim hanging from around the bottom.  Y'all....it was a thing of sheer beauty.  I held on to the lamp only because my sweet Granmom gave it to me.  I always said, "one day...." and had great plans for it.  Well, when we found out I was expecting, I knew that I wanted the lamp to be in the nursery.  So after many coats of white paint and a new shade, Ella Paityn has a pretty lamp in her room that spent many years in the mountains of NC in her great Granmom's house. 



This is inside the closet door. We are 100% sure that EP has more clothes than Jacob and I combined....especially when you consider that they are in 3 month increments.  I also made a TON of interchangeable headbands with bows/flowers.  All of those flowers/bows/headbands cost less than $25 to make! 


If you turn to the left of the room, you will see EP's changing table and hutch.  Eventually this can convert to a dresser and the hutch comes off, gets attached to a base w/ feet, and becomes a bookshelf. On top of the hutch is Ella Paityn's "Pop Belly Pig", bought for her by her Pop (my dad). 


And if you turn around to walk out the door, you will find a protective Daddy (who is very good looking) and a precious piece of artwork.  This canvas was handpainted for EP by her BFF, Claire (Rebecca's daughter).  


Well, thanks for stopping in!  Hope you enjoyed the tour :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment