Page Background

Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Mother's Day like None Other

Sunday, May 11, 2014. Mother's Day. One year ago.

Sometimes it takes my breath away to realize how quickly years pass by and the difference that time can make.  One year ago children were not on my radar.  My, what a difference one year makes.

August 2014. We found out that I was pregnant.  I was terrified, nervous, and mourning the end of a chapter (which felt more like a book).  Jacob and I would never be "just the two of us" again.

But one year later, by the grace of God, I am celebrating my first Mother's Day.  It still seems surreal. Surely this cannot be correct. After all, children weren't in my life plan.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Praise God that His plans are higher and greater than my own.  I thank our God that He knew me better than I know myself.  That God would bless us with a daughter, entrust us with His child, and make me a mom blows my mind and leaves me speechless (and teary eyed....but we won't go there!).

Psalm 139 (CEM translation-- that's me)
You made all the delicate inner parts of Ella Paityn's body
and knit her together in my womb.
Thank you for making Ella Paityn so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous- how well I know it.
You watched her as she was being formed in utter seclusion,
as she was woven together in the dark of my womb.
You saw Ella Paityn before she was born.
Every day of her life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.

Today I look back over the last year.  I never saw myself being here, but I sure am thankful that God did.  I am grateful that God chose me to be Ella Paityn's mom.

On a lighter note.... what have we done on my first Mother's Day?
  • Slept in- yay for sleep!

  • Took EP to church for the first time (love that it coincided perfectly with Mother's Day....I only cried once!)

  • Came home and Dad fixed us lunch- sloppy joes, chips, and turtle pie
  • Watched the movie Steel Magnolias for the first time ever-- so good, but maybe not the best Mother's Day choice?!  Someone dies!  And I cried again.
  • Braved Tropical Storm Ana from the comfort of our couch and held EP nonstop-- baby cuddles won't last forever
  • Dad is making us dinner tonight- steak, baked potatoes, macaroni and cheese





No comments:

Post a Comment