Page Background

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Another bump in the road

On Monday, April 20 Jacob and I went to the maternity open house at the hospital to see just exactly what to expect.  While at open house, I began feeling TERRIBLE.  In fact, the nurse who was leading it even asked me after it was over if everything was okay because I looked very concerned- whoops!

I started feeling very lightheaded, nauseas, and had a terrible pain in my chest that radiated all the way to my back right shoulder blade. We went home and I laid down on the couch thinking it would get better.  Well, it didn't and I spent the entire night awake, wondering if I was having a heart attack or dying.  Both seemed pretty plausible at the time.

I called in sick for work on Tuesday and called the doctor as soon as they opened.  The doctor said it sounded like gallballder attacks so they got me an appointment for an ultrasound first thing Wednesday morning.  After a while on Tuesday, I started coming around and actually considered cancelling my appointment.  Well, Tuesday night....same story.

My ultrasound came back looking normal, but Mandy (my midwife) wanted to run some lab work as well, just as a precaution. Well, Thursday afternoon I got a call saying that my blood work had come back and while my white blood cell count looked great, my liver enzymes were double what they are supposed to be.  Mandy was concerned and scheduled me for additional labwork on Friday to make sure that they were not increasing above safe levels.  If they were, it meant early induction.  The "i" word.....so of course, I was a mess. I don't do very well with surprises.

They think the only possible cause is from repeated trauma to the liver.....baby legs, kicks, and positioning. Mandy was also confident that this is pregnancy induced and would be corrected after delivery.

I took the day off of work Friday because Jacob had a work trip to Greensboro.  So on our way, we stopped off at the vet school to have my mom run my blood work.  We won't talk about how she almost faxed the doctor over results that said I was a "non-neutered male"!  Mandy texted me shortly after and said my results were still double what they should be, but that they were stablized for now.  She scheduled me for a follow-up appointment on Monday to be re-checked again. So now, we're just in a crazy wait and see mode.  Either way, we should have a baby by Tuesday, May 5....hopefully no earlier than Monday, May 4 though (because my type-A schedule oriented mind has trouble comprehending that).

Until my next appointment......




No comments:

Post a Comment