Page Background

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Our First Ultrasound

On October 1, Jacob and I left for a very nerve-wracking (in my opinion) doctors appointment.  It was the appointment of our first ultrasound.  I was supposed to be almost 11 weeks along, but since I hadn't been overly symptomatic I was still hesitant to accept the "pregnant" label.  My appointment was at 2:15 and we arrived just in the knick of time!  After waiting for about 30 minutes (which felt like an eternity), they finally called me back.  The ultrasound was internal and as soon as the tech (named Currie) put the wand in, I immediately saw what I thought I would never see.

I think my exact words were something like, "Oh my gosh.  There is a baby in there."  And Currie's response, "What did you think would be in there?!"  I explained to her how apprehensive and nervous I was about everything and she was great.  The whole thing lasted about 15 minutes and she pointed out the arms, legs, heart (which you could see fluttering away), brain, and spine.  While we couldn't hear baby Morgan's heartbeat, Currie did clock it in at 178 bpm.  She also mentioned something about the baby wiggling around.  Well, apparently I wasn't paying very good attention because I was oblivious.  So she patiently held the wand still and waited for a few minutes for baby Morgan to show off again.  And sure enough, we got to see the little nubby arms and legs wiggle around!

There's nothing like seeing that.  I didn't know what I would feel.  I didn't know if tears would start spilling down my face.  I just didn't know.....  But what I do know, is that I became a little more at ease with everything after that appointment.  I saw and felt a glimmer of excitement.  And something about Jacob sitting behind me was also prophetical in a sense.  Because through it all, I know that my husband is my #1 supporter.  He'll always have my back.  And at the sight of our baby moving, my heart melted because a little, "awww" escaped from my man.




After the ultrasound, we met with Dr. Tinga who informed us that everything looked great.  But, he was also very proud of himself for being right.  He told me that he suspected all along that I wasn't quite as far as we had originally thought.  So all in all, they changed my due date from April 24 to May 4 which put me at 9 weeks, 2 days.  I mean, I'm going to be a cooperative participant here and not question them. But quite frankly, their calculations don't add up to my dates which I know to be correct!

When all was said and done we left with three little momentos tucked safely into my wallet.  Oh yeah.....and a bill for $1100 (but we won't talk about that- haha).  Then, we headed to a celebration dinner at El Tequila!  We had a buy one, get one free dinner coupon which landed our bill at a whopping $10.98 which included Jacob's drink.  And while a margarita sounded unbelievably amazing--- probably because I know I can't have it.....or maybe because they were on special for $3--- I decided to be a good role model and not "contribute to the delinquency of {the} minor" (as my FIL would say) growing inside of me.




No comments:

Post a Comment