Page Background

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

What Makes a Great Dad

Let me tell you, that I am highly qualified to write about what makes a great Dad.  The reason? Because I grew up with a fantastic Daddy, or Dadoose as I more fondly call him. And that is how I know that my husband is going to fill those same shoes with our daughter.  So what are some things that make a great Dad?

Involvement
To be a great parent, you must be involved with your child's life.  It is impossible to see into the future, but I can go off of what Jacob has exhibited in the past.  I couldn't have hand-picked a more involved husband.  If I am doing something, he always wants to be there to support and help me. Spelling bee?  He's there cheering me on in the crowd.  School Title I nights?  He's there calling out BINGO numbers or passing out prizes with me.  Sewing nursery bedding (or any other craft project)? He is sitting with me and helping in any way he can from being there to talk to, helping stain wood, to ruffling fabric. I absolutely love having my husband as my best friend.  It really does make life so much more fun!  And because Jacob loves being involved in my life, I know that the same will be true for our daughter.  We are two blessed and lucky girls.

Love
It's hard to even know where to start with this.  As DC Talk said, "Love is a verb."  Jacob shows me his tenderness and love for me on a daily basis.  The depth of his love for me is almost overwhelming to think about and he exhibits it in so many different ways.  It's one of the things that I have struggled with the most when thinking about having a baby...having to share his love.  And after {almost} six years of marriage, I finally understand how people say that your love only gets sweeter as time passes. Jacob truly is the love of my life.

Dedication
Jacob exhibits dedication in so many different ways.  First, he is very dedicated to me (which goes hand in hand with involvement).  He is also very dedicated to his job.  Jacob goes out of his way to help others.  And lastly, even when it isn't all that fun or when things aren't looking as good as they could, Jacob is dedicated to farming.  His ultimate goal of full-time farming is never overshadowed by temporary circumstances.  He takes care of the pigs at least 2 times a day (morning and evening) and does whatever it takes to make sure that they are well cared for.  To the point that he has birthed pigs during an ice storm, brought sick pigs home to try nursing them back to health in our bathtub, dug holes and said his eulogy for each animal that has died (the standard ashes to ashes!), took extra time to rub and talk to the pigs, and the list goes on. Starting a business is hard work, but he never loses sight of his goals and is completely dedicated to making them a reality.


Those are just a tiny snippet of the character traits that make a good Dad.  Those are some of the ones that my Dad was great at; and, I am 100% confident that Jacob will also be great at.



1 comment:

  1. Aww... what a sweet post! :) He will be a great dad and you will be a great mom! :)

    ReplyDelete