Page Background

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Anatomy scan....with more implications

We went to our appointment in New Bern for our anatomy scan after some bumps in the road with scheduling.  Let's just say one of the receptionists assumed that since I was going to Greenville, she should cancel my appointment.  Needless to say I was hot to trot!  Mandy had specifically told me to keep the appointment since my high risk appointment was so far away and it may put our minds at ease a little bit.  So after getting it rescheduled for the same time, we headed off to East Carolina Women's Center on Monday, November 24 to find out what we were having if our baby had indicators of Down Syndrome.  Funny how perspective changes things.  In fact, I wasn't the least bit excited, knowing that we could leave broken.

We arrived about 15 minutes early because the office will cancel your ultrasound appointment if you aren't there on time.  And then, the tech was running about 20 minutes behind.  So that meant that we waited for an exorbitant amount of time and my nerves built up even more.  When we finally got called back for our ultrasound, my nerves were a mess and a student from Pitt Community College was helping out.  I laid down and we immediately saw our little one pinging around gleefully in my belly.  That may or may not have been because I drank 12 oz of orange juice about an hour before! :)  The tech kept saying, your baby is one of the wiggliest little ones-- haha, whoops! After about 25 minutes of ultrasounding, and very little conversation related to what was happening, I broke down.  I started crying (poor ultrasound student) and explained that I was a basket case.  So our tech, Currie, told me a little about what they were seeing.  She told me not to worry, that she was seeing some good things, but pretty much left it at that.  Afterwards, we met with Mandy who eased our fears significantly.  She told us that no soft markers had been found and that she was even less concerned than before (which wasn't much).

We left the doctors office with some ultrasound pictures and much more peace of mind than we had come in with.  Oh yeah, I almost forgot- and an envelope with a gender picture!  Jacob and I went home for a quiet dinner of leftovers and sat on the couch, processing, and watching TV together. About 2-3 hours after getting home, we finally decided to open the envelope and we found out that IT's A.....  Just kidding!  We haven't told our families :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment