Page Background

Sunday, January 22, 2012

My First Sushi Making Experience

I have always really liked sushi rolls...

...and when one of my Mom's Japanese friends brought sushi to our Thanksgiving lunch, it inspired me to learn how to make it!! So today was my day. I made one of my favs, a California roll. I used Alton Brown's recipe and dove right in. First, Jacob and I went to Wal-Mart after church to purchase the ingredients. The ingredients were about $15, but several of the items (sushi rice, rice vinegar, bamboo rolling mat, seaweed wraps) can be used multiple times.


First thing I made was the rice, which is VERY sticky. I had to prepare this much earlier because the rice has to cool completely, to room temperature.



Next, I prepared the "innards"- cucumber, avocado, and crab sticks and put them each in bowls.





















Then, the sushi roll assembly line began. I was actually quite surprised how easy it was. The recipe made 8 total rolls and as I went, my sushi rolls got tighter. So, I've learned for next time :)















When I finished, I had 8 sushi rolls cut into sixths! I was quite impressed with myself.















Moral of this story: If you like sushi, try making it yourself! It was easy, relatively inexpensive, and DELICIOUS!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment